Board of Directors
- Vice President
- Personnel Director (without vote)
- Finance & Budget Director (without vote)
- Director of Community Relations
- Director of Operations
- Director of Diversity Efforts
- Director of Programming
- Director of Organizational Relations
- Director of Faculty, Administration and Academic Affairs
- Graduate and Professional Student Senate Secretary
- Student Senate Vice Chair (without vote)
SECTION 1: MEMBERSHIP
- A. There shall be eleven (11) student members as follows:
- 1. ASUW President;
- 2. ASUW Vice President;
- 3. Six (6) representatives-at-large as delineated in the Bylaws of the BOD;
- 4. One Graduate and Professional Student Senate (GPSS) representative;
- 5. ASUW Budget Director shall be an ex-officio member of the BOD without vote; and
- 6. ASUW Personnel Director shall be an ex-officio member of the BOD without vote; and
- 7. One ASUW Student Senate representative shall be an ex-officio member of the BOD without vote.
- B. The Director of Student Activities shall be an ex-officio member of the BOD without vote.
- C. An official representative of the University Administration, designated by the President of the University, shall be an ex-officio member of the BOD without vote.
SECTION 2: OFFICERS OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- A. The ASUW President shall be the Chair of the BOD, and the ASUW Vice President shall be the Vice-Chair.
- B. At the first regular meeting of Fall Quarter the BOD shall elect an at-large member of the BOD to serve as Chair Pro-Tempore.
SECTION 3: ELIGIBILITY
Rules of eligibility for candidacy for election to and holding of ASUW and BOD positions shall be established by the BOD in its Bylaws, and shall be consistent with University rules. Any officer of the ASUW or member of the BOD, who, under the rules of the University or the ASUW, becomes ineligible for such office, shall, upon determination of such fact and without further action, cease to hold such office. The vacancy shall be filled as provided.
SECTION 4: ELECTION OF OFFICERS AND BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEMBERS
- A. The ASUW President, Vice President, and BOD members-at-large shall be elected the seventh week of Spring Quarter and shall take office the last day of Spring Quarter.
- B. Each BOD member-at-large shall be elected to fill one of the six delineated directorships defined in ASUW Bylaws, Article I, Section 5 and shall declare which directorship they are a candidate for when filing for office.
- C. The GPSS representative shall be elected within his/her constituency and shall take office as prescribed in the GPSS Bylaws.
- D. In the event of an irregularity in elections which results in the nullification of one or more of the electoral races by the BOD, a re-running of said positions shall be made within one month of the ASUW General Election.
- E. The ASUW Student Senate representative shall be elected within his/her constituency and shall take office as prescribed in the ASUW Student Senate Bylaws. The ASUW Student Senate representative will be non-voting and will not be a member of the Executive Committee.
SECTION 5: HIRING OF DIRECTORS
The Budget and Personnel Directors shall be hired according to the Personnel hiring policies as delineated in the Personnel Bylaws and shall take office the last day of Spring Quarter.
SECTION 6: VACANCIES
- A. In the event of a vacancy in a BOD position (except as otherwise provided herein), the BOD shall call for and consider applications and shall appoint to the office a student who is eligible for the position who shall complete the term of office.
- B. In the event of vacancy in any position held by a representative to the BOD of an organization, the vacancy shall be filled by a representative appointed by that organization, who shall complete the term of office.
SECTION 7: RECALL AND DISMISSAL OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEMBERS
- A. Recall of Board of Directors Member.
- 1. A special election to dismiss a Board member shall occur if one of the following occurs:
- a. A petition for recall of BOD members shall require the signatures and permanent student file numbers of at least 5 percent of the ASUW membership.
- b. A Student Senate Order for a recall of BOD members shall require the approval of 3/4ths of the voting membership of the Student Senate. The Student Senate Order for a recall will then go to the BOD for consideration, and shall pass unless overridden by a 2/3 vote of the BOD membership.
- c. The Board may take appropriate action, including, but not limited to, freezing pay, reprimand, censure, or calling for a special election to recall the member. It shall require a 2/3 vote of the membership of the Board of Directors to call for a special recall election.
- B. Special Election
- Upon receipt by the BOD of a petition for recall, duly certified by the Registrar to contain the names and permanent student file numbers of at least 5 percent of the ASUW membership, a Student Senate Order for recall, or a 2/3 vote of the BOD, it shall be the duty of the BOD to hold a special election for recall. No other issue than the recall shall be presented to the voters at said election.
- C. Recall
- The BOD member shall be recalled by majority vote, provided that the total number voting amounts to at least 3/4 of the total vote cast for the office at the election in which the BOD member was elected. The vacancy thus created shall be filled immediately as provided.
- D. Dismissal of Directors
- Dismissal of either the Budget Director or the Personnel Director shall be handled in accordance with Personnel Bylaws.
SECTION 8: FUNCTIONS AND POWERS OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The BOD shall have general supervision and control over all ASUW activities. It shall govern either directly or through its appointed agencies, the following:
- A. Exercise of final legislative, executive, and judicial powers of the Association, subject to the exercise of such powers ultimately resident in the membership of the Association;
- B. Enactment of the Bylaws and Rules necessary for the regulation of the affairs of the Association, and the BOD, under this Constitution;
- C. Recommendation of the appointment and removal of all salaried officers, employees, and agents of the ASUW;
- D. Approval of all appointments made by the chair of the BOD;
- E. Approval of the budget and expenditures of the ASUW. The BOD shall have final authority to budget, disburse and withhold funds, or to authorize entry into contractual or financial relationships, on behalf of the Association;
- F. Publication of an annual ASUW Financial Statement;
- G. Empower committees or members of the employed staff to act in specified areas without BOD approval of those acts;
- H. The right of final approval or disapproval of all legislative, executive, or judicial acts of its committees or agents;
- I. Establishment of rules for the approval of student organizations by the ASUW and granting of approval according to such rules;
- J. Expression of opinion and interests of members of the Association to the community at large on issues affecting student life; and
- K. Exercise, directly or through its agents, student leadership and representation in publications, athletics, student organizations, Union Building program and management, University Book Store management, student welfare, student housing, educational affairs, and other critical issues of student life.
SECTION 9: MEETINGS OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- A. Regular meetings of the BOD shall be held at least once each calendar month throughout the regular school year.
- B. Special meetings of the BOD may be called by the chair upon at least 24 hours notice to BOD members and members of the news media as required by the Open Public Meetings Act.
- C. A quorum shall be a majority of the voting members of the BOD as of the current date. There shall be no voting by proxy.
SECTION 10: BUDGET APPROVAL
- A. The ASUW Finance and Budget Committee shall make its budget recommendations in a manner to be specified in the BOD Bylaws.
- B. The BOD shall approve the budget recommendations of the Finance and Budget Committee for the upcoming year before their term of office expires.
- C. In the case of disapproval, the BOD shall refer the item(s) disapproved back to the Finance and Budget Committee for re-evaluation before taking final action.
- D. It shall be the responsibility of the BOD to determine the priorities upon which the Finance and Budget Committee shall make its decisions.