Director of Faculty, Administration and Academic Affairs
convert: unable to open file `/var/www/wiki/images/4/41/Jason.png' @ error/png.c/ReadPNGImage/3244.
convert: missing an image filename `/tmp/transform_229502d-1.png' @ error/convert.c/ConvertImageCommand/3011.
The Director of Faculty, Administration and Academic Affairs (commonly referred to as FAA), serves as one of 6 elected, at-large directors on the Associated Students of the University of Washington (ASUW) Board of Directors. The Director of FAA is an advocate for student opinion and ensures that student voice is represented on fourteen different Faculty councils, and at different levels of the University of Washington Administration where ASUW has a representative. If there is an area where student opinion should be considered and historically is not, it is the role of the Director to ensure that ASUW has a seat on the respective committees. It is also the responsibility of the Director of FAA to be informed of institutional changes that affect Academia, the Cost of Education and Student Life. The Director of FAA serves on many different University committees, Faculty councils and ASUW committees. The Director is one of two Board liaisons to the Student Senate and also sits on the Legislative Steering Committee, is the Graduate and Professional Student Senate Liaison, sits on GPSS Executive Committee and chairs the Course Fee Review Committee that was created in 2003. The primary objective and goal of the Director of Faculty, Administration and Academic Affairs is to be an influential ASUW student advocate and liaison across the greater University of Washington campus.
109th Session of the Associated Students of the University of Washington Director of Faculty, Administration and Academic Affairs
Goals for 2009-2010
- Effectively work for affordable tuition and better financial aid by through a new grassroots organizing initiative
- Face the budget crisis by initiating advocacy throughout campus and proactively providing community and departmental clubs with training and resources, and by backing them with the full weight of the ASUW
- Build into campus communities by having a regular presence at SAB, RHSA, IFC, PHC, NPHC, UGC, CIC
- Leverage the voice of ASUW on campus to get more done by creating significant new opportunities for volunteer advocacy
- Encourage involvement and maintain accountability by bringing transparency to the position with a comprehensive online database of current issues
- Empower student senators to implement resolutions by providing individual mentoring and assistance
BYLAWS OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
ARTICLE I, SECTION V
Director of Faculty, Administration and Academic Affairs, who shall:
- a. Attend all general meetings of the Faculty Senate;
- b. Serve as an ASUW Representative to the Faculty Councils on Academic Standards, Faculty Affairs, Instructional Quality, Student Affairs, and any other [Faculty Councils] deemed essential by the President or BOD;
- c. Assist the Vice President with the open-selection process to nominate volunteers to serve as ASUW Representatives on the remaining Faculty Councils;
- d. Serve as an ASUW Representative to the Committee on Academic Conduct and other University committees related to faculty, administrative and academic affairs that are deemed essential by the President or BOD;
- e. Assist the Vice President with the open-selection process to nominate volunteers to serve as ASUW Representatives on the remaining relevant University committees;
- f. Communicate regularly with ASUW Representatives on Faculty Councils and relevant University committees;
- g. Chair the Course Fee Review Committee (Article VII, § 7(G));
- h. Communicate regularly with the Office of Government Relations.
- i. Work with the Student Senate Representative to ensure that appropriate actions are being taken to follow through on Senate resolutions related to faculty, administrative and academic affairs;
- j. Serve as a Board liaison to both the Legislative Steering Committee and Resolution Conference with vote;
- k. Serve as a member of both the Graduate and Professional Student Senate and GPSS Senate Executive Committee with vote;
- l. Consolidate reports by the ASUW Representatives to Faculty Councils and create a quarterly report for the Board of Directors, Student Senate, the ASUW Website, and all other entities needed.
- m. Complete all other related tasks involving the Association not delineated in these Bylaws and as assigned by the ASUW President.
Records and Board of Directors job descriptions may be found at: www.records.asuw.org
Current and Past Directors
- Jed Bradley, 2010-2011
- Jason Padvorac, Director of Faculty, Administration, and Academic Affairs 2009-2010
- Phuong Nguyen, Director of Faculty, Administration and Academic Affairs 2008-2009
- Jennifer H. Hahn, Director of Faculty, Administration and Academic Affairs 2007-2008
- Erin Shields, Director of Faculty, Administration and Academic Affairs 2006-2007
- Jonathan Lee, Director of Faculty, Administration and Academic Affairs 2005-2006