Shellan is also a Student Trustee on the University Book Store. He chairs the Student Transportation Taskforce and serves as an ex-officio member on the University Transportation Committee.
At the beginning of the year, he helped to create the Political Action Network — a collection of student leaders who can relay legislative developments back to their constituencies. You can sign up for PAN here.
He has served on the Student Senate as a Commuter and representative for McCarty Hall. He is actively involved in local politics.
As future leaders and employers, students are the drivers of our economy. We are 42,000 strong and fully capable of making a difference. This last session, we influenced legislators to reject unfavorable bills for students while maintaining the State Need Grant, which funds the Husky Promise.
I promise to bring more students to the table and continue to fight for our rights. Education should be the last thing to cut.
BRINGING STUDENTS TO THE TABLE
Our voice is absolutely critical. I will ensure that students are heard by fighting for representation on all University decision-making bodies. I will also reach out into the community to promote student views on local issues such as safety and transportation.
As your Vice President, I will take the initiative to bring students to the table through active recruitment, leadership development and a support network for our volunteers.
EXPANDING FINANCIAL AID
I have battled to maintain funding for our students as the Assistant Director in ASUW's Office of Government Relations. And as Vice President, I will continue my work in Olympia to preserve the State Need Grant and reinstate the other financial aid programs.
Our work with the Washington delegation in the nation's capital has already paid off — a major student loan reform bill just passed, funneling tens of billions of dollars back into higher education.
PROVIDING ACCESIBILE TRANSPORTATION FOR STUDENTS
With tuition on the rise, the last thing we need to worry about is another price spike in the U-PASS. I have and will continue to work with students, administrators and local governments this year to keep the U-PASS program affordable.
It is time to take ownership of our education. We can with OneCampus.
As the Office of Government Relations Assistant Director, Shellan directs the regional lobbying efforts of the ASUW and assists the director at the state-level. For more information, you can check out OGR's website or reach Eric directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
Goals for the 109th Session
CONNECTING STUDENTS TO OLYMPIA
- Maintain regular communication with the campus during the legislative session to improve transparency, accountability and awareness
- Host events on campus and in Olympia that encourage discussion between legislators, student and administrators
- Partner with our branch campuses in Bothell and Tacoma, along with the Graduate Professional Student Senate, other higher education institutes, the Washington Student Association and the United States Student Association to advance our common agenda
BRINGING STUDENTS TO THE TABLE ON LOCAL ISSUES
- Foster the ongoing relationship between students and permanent residents to develop a community partnership that amplifies our voice at the local level
- Improve communication with students to create awareness about pertinent city and county issues, such as rental housing and transportation
EMPOWERING STUDENTS TO EFFECTIVELY COMMUNICATION WITH PUBLIC OFFICIALS
- Bring passionate student leaders together from all over campus to participate in the lobbying process, organize complementary efforts, and educate their communities on relevant political issues
- Work with groups like the Experimental College and UW Leaders to create workshops, forums and events that encourage students to exercise off-campus leadership
SUCCESSFULLY ADVOCATING FOR STUDENTS
- Magnify our lobbying efforts by organizing and mobilizing the Political Action Network, which targets student leaders and campus umbrella organizations
- Improve campus outreach to inspire students to use our office as a venue to channel their passion
--Eshellan 16:15, 21 November 2009 (PST)