Student Senate Vice Chair
The primary concern of the Student Senate Vice Chair is to maintain open communication and harmony between the Board of Directors and the Student Senate. It is necessary to keep each body informed of the other’s actions to ensure an understanding of the needs and desires of the general student body. The Vice Chair also acts as parliamentarian to the Student Senate and assumes the responsibilities of the Student Senate Chair in the absence of the Chair.
Student Senate Bylaws Article III: Officers
SECTION 3. SENATE VICE-CHAIR
- A. Compensation
- 1. No stipend shall be drawn during the Summer Quarter.
- 2. During Fall, Winter, and Spring Quarters, the Vice Chair shall draw a stipend totaling $3,273.
- B. Duties & Responsibilities
- 1. The Vice-Chair shall complete the following tasks on a weekly basis:
- (i) hold a minimum of five (5) office hours outside of meetings;
- (ii) attend all meetings of the Steering Committee;
- (iii) attend all meetings of the Senate, and assist as needed in the coordination of Senate meetings;
- (iv) fill the seat on the Board that is constitutionally delineated to the Senate; [ASUW Const., Art. VI, ¤1(A)(7)]
- (v) introduce all Senate Bills that pass the Senate to the Board at the next regularly scheduled Board meeting;
- (vi) notify the Board of all approved Resolutions, Orders, Legislative Directives, Requests for Information, and any other relevant actions taken by the Senate to ensure that the Board remains informed about Senate's activities;
- (vii) report to the Senate on actions taken by the Board in regard to Senate Resolutions or Bills; and
- (viii) update the Senate Legislative Database to reflect all amendments to and dispositions of legislation by Senate committees, the Steering Committee, or by the Senate; and
- (ix) compile and send out a Weekly Events e-mail to the Senate e-mail list.
- 2. The Vice-Chair shall complete the following tasks at least twice per quarter:
- (i) organize Senate public events;
- (ii) maintain an in-office calendar of ASUW efforts;
- (iii) organize new Senator orientations;
- (iv) coordinate with the Secretary to maintain and update the ASUW Standing Opinion Index on the Senate website; and
- (v) confirm the configuration and reservation of the Senate meeting room; and
- (vi) complete a Senate Officer Review with the Chair.
- 3. The Vice-Chair shall complete the following tasks on a quarterly basis:
- (i) coordinate the attendance of public speakers to the Senate; and
- (ii) maintain and review the list of all Select Committees of the Senate, recommending to the Senate the dissolution of Select Committees where applicable.
- 4. The Vice-Chair shall attend to the following general responsibilities during the entire term:
- (i) follow all Senate Bylaws and Rules;
- (ii) preside over the Steering Committee and the Senate in the absence of the Chair;
- (iii) provide legislative assistance to Senators;
- (iv) oversee the work of all Standing committees, providing all necessary assistance and guidance to Standing Committee chairs;
- (v) serve as the Senate parliamentarian;
- (vi) train the incoming officers following their election; and
- (vii) attend ASUW training and orientation.
Current and Past Vice Chairs
- Nicholas DeMuro, 2016-2017
- Jessa Cameron, 2015-2016
- Michael Zangl, 2013- 2014
- Sean Wilson, 2012-2013
- Negheen Kamkar, 2011-2012
- Michelle Nance, 2010-2011
- Sarah Round, 2009-2010
- Lydia Bylsma, 2008-2009
- Sameer Kanal, 2007-2008
- Mikhail Smirnov, 2006-2007
- Erin Shields, 2005-2006
- Karl D. Smith, 2004-2005
- Aiko Akers, 2003-2004