Experimental College Director
m (→Past Directors)
|Line 146:||Line 146:|
*[[Neil Rotta]] (2009-2010)
*[[Neil Rotta]] (2009-2010)
*[[Jono Hanks]] (2008-2009)
*[[Jono Hanks]] (2008-2009)
*Stacey Taplin (2007-2008)
Revision as of 03:23, 14 April 2011
TITLE: Experimental College Director
CATEGORY: ASUW Enterprise
TERM: 46 Weeks
HOURS: 27 HRS/WK
You can view the current Experimental College staff at the website's staff page.
The Director is the chief executive of a net-zero alternative education college employing and supervising 8 other individuals and working with a budget of approximately $200,000. The Director’s primary responsibility is to plan, direct, and monitor all College operations, and to assume ultimate responsibility for the College and follow the Experimental College mandate.
More specifically, the Director is responsible for all external operations including supervising catalog production, arranging catalog printing and mailing, monitoring public relations activities, monitoring accounting activities and coordination of all on-campus facilities activities.
1. To be responsible for:
- a. External daily operations of the Experimental College.
- b. All catalog production functions including communicating with UW Publication Services, UW Mailing Services, and outside vendors.
2. To train the Assistant Director:
- a. In all aspects of Experimental College daily operations.
- b. For all staff positions.
- c. Preparation of the Experimental College annual budget in accordance to the ASUW Finance and Budget Committee guidelines.
3. Be knowledgeable of:
- a. Experimental College operations and to ensure compliance with all policies and
procedures, both internal and external.
- b. ASUW policies and procedures as stated in the ASUW handbook.
4. To serve:
- a. On the review committee for the current Assistant Director.
- b. On the hiring committee for the incoming Assistant Director.
- c. As a chairperson on the Experimental College Boards of Appeals.
- d. As a liaison for the Experimental College with University departments and the general public.
5. To coordinate:
- a. All on-campus facilities activities including processing requests, notifying instructors of quarterly room assignments, processing room cancellations and changes, creating quarterly room rental invoices, and arranging payment for University Room Assignments.
- b. Acceptance and rejection of new course proposals, with the Assistant Director.
- c. Various projects between departments within the Experimental College.
6. To maintain:
- a. Contracted services and update those services as needed.
- b. Strong working relationships with the Assistant Director, Student Activities Office and the ASUW.
7. To develop:
- a. The annual budget and evaluate the budget regularly.
- b. Policies and procedures and revise existing policies and procedures as needed.
8. To establish:
- a. Regular office hours and inform SAO Advisor and ASUW Personnel Director of scheduled office hours.
- b. Regular supervisor and staff meetings throughout the quarter.
- c. Regular meetings with has SAO Advisor and Board of Directors liaison.
9. To provide direction for the College by:
- a. Anticipating future needs and course trends.
- b. Responding promptly to problems and complaints.
- c. Creating a quarterly timeline.
- d. Monitoring existing course and instructor quality including commendations and disciplinary action.
- e. Establishing an annual review of job descriptions and procedure manuals.
10. To supervise and monitor all accounting and public relations activities.
11. Participate in quarterly evaluation process with SAO Advisor and ASUW Personnel Director.
12. To develop and maintain communication with college instructors including conducting the annual instructors meeting and writing the introductory letter for the quarterly newsletter.
13. Review and adhere to conditions of employment as stated in Student Employee Handbooks, ASUW Personnel Policy, and the ASUW memorandum of understanding.
14. To fill a vacated positions within the Experimental College, in the event of an unexpected absence or resignation, until that position can be filled.
15. Responsible for coordinating web page upkeep through volunteers or otherwise.
16. Review and adhere to conditions of employment as stated in the Student Employment Handbooks, ASUW Personnel Policy, and signed ASUW Memorandum of Understanding.
17. Attend ASUW mandatory training sessions, including but not limited to the ASUW Fall Orientation.
18. Maintain and inform ASUW Personnel Director and SAO of office hours.
19. Inform ASUW Personnel Director and SAO Adviser of missed office hours.
20. Complete quarterly goals and evaluations as arranged by the ASUW Personnel Director.
21. Serve as a member of the ASUW Personnel Hiring Committee in the Spring to hire the new Experimental College Director (if not applying for that position), to ensure continuity.
1. Requires prior budgeting experience and knowledge of managerial accounting.
2. Requires ability to communicate and work well with a wide variety of people.
3. Requires strong written and verbal communication skills including some public speaking experience.
4. Requires prior management experience.
5. Requires ability to handle stress and high degrees of responsibility.
6. Requires ability to make effective decisions.
7. Requires ability to identify, solve, and follow through on problems.
8. Requires administrative experience and skills.
9. Skills in business organization are preferable.
10. Must be an UW student enrolled in a t least 6 credits for undergraduates, 4 for graduates, or on leave as defined by Executive Order 50.