Finance & Budget Director
Welcome to the positions of Finance & Budget Director of the ASUW. You have been selected from a pool of highly qualified applicants as the best candidate for performing the duties and upholding the responsibilities of this position. Herein, you will find a great deal of information dealing with the position and its responsibilities. I encourage you to read this wiki page in its entirety and refer back to it frequently as you progress throughout the year. My hope is that it will be a valuable reference and tool for you, helping to guide you through the year.
- Serve as an ex-officio member of the Board of Directors without vote.
- Chair the ASUW Finance and Budget committee.
- Chair the ASUW Special Appropriations committee.
- Complete a Finance and Budget quarterly report for the Fall and Winter Quarters, and submit it to the President by the second week of the following quarter.
- Complete and initiate projects as directed by the President.
- Attend all regularly scheduled Board of Directors meetings or special Board of Directors meetings unless officially excused by the President or Vice-President.
- Maintain accountability for 25 office hours per week, including 20 scheduled office hours during which time the Budget Director’s activities and/or whereabouts are known to the front office staff; (meetings and appointments may be scheduled during this time); the remaining hours shall be utilized to complete projects, schedule meetings and appointments, or otherwise facilitate the work of the ASUW. A schedule of these hours shall be submitted to the Personnel Director by the first week of each quarter.
- Keep the ASUW President and BOD informed of ASUW Budget status through regular reports.
- Monitor ASUW Commission/Program budgets, identify potential problems and recommend review and action.
- Responsible for reviewing all budget requests submitted to the ASUW.
- Maintain record of expenditures, fund balances, and ensuring ASUW funds are spent according to appropriate ASUW, University, and State guidelines.
- In conjunction with the Finance and Budget Committee, establish guidelines and timelines for annual budgeting process to be approved by the ASUW Board Directors.
- Review program/event funding evaluations submitted by groups funded by the Special Appropriations Committee and provide reports to the Finance & Budget Committee and the Board of Directors as needed.
- Meet weekly with the Student Activities Office advisor.
- Oversee the ASUW annual budgeting process.
- Advise the ASUW BOD on all financial matters, including spending priorities, budget process, and financial status.
- Meet with ASUW Programs and Net-Zeros to ensure proper execution and implementation of provisions provided in the ASUW corporate budget.
- Keep a permanent record of event and program reviews as delineated in the by-laws.
- Attend all ASUW training sessions including, but not limited to, ASUW fall orientation.
BYLAWS OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
ARTICLE I, SECTION III
The Finance and Budget Director shall:
A. Serve as an ex-officio member of the Board of Directors without vote, and shall be hired by the current BOD through the Personnel hiring process. This person shall take office with the incoming BOD but shall be responsible for learning the position over Spring Quarter;
B. Serve as Chair of the Finance and Budget Committee, which shall include the following responsibilities:
- 1. Set up an agenda for the weekly Finance and Budget Committee meeting;
- 2. Make appointments to discuss budget matters with student groups;
- 3. Prepare a report of the weekly Finance and Budget Committee meetings to be submitted to the Board of Directors at its next meeting;
- 4. Monitor budget appropriations and expenditures;
- 5. Present a financial report of the previous quarter to the Board of Directors at or before the second regularly scheduled meeting of each academic quarter; and
- 6. Recommend to the Vice President the removal of any Finance and Budget Committee member who has accumulated more than two unexcused absences;
C. Serve as a member of the Services and Activities Fee Committee;
D. Complete a quarterly report for the Fall and Winter quarters, and submit it to the President by the second week of the following quarter;
E. Post the budget of the ASUW on the ASUW's web page;
F. Publish a budget summary in The Daily at the beginning of each quarter;
G. Complete initiated projects as directed by the President;
H. Initiate projects as necessary;
I. Shall meet with the ASUW President at the beginning of each quarter to establish the responsibilities and allocation of their Administrative Assistant for that respective quarter. This shall be submitted for approval to the Personnel Director no later than the second week of each quarter;
J. Attend all regularly scheduled Board of Directors meetings or special Board of Directors meetings unless officially excused by the President or Vice President; and
K. Maintain accountability for twenty-five office hours per week, including twenty scheduled office hours during which time the Finance and Budget Director’s activities and/or whereabouts are known to the front office staff; (meetings and appointments may be scheduled during this time). The remaining five hours shall be utilized to complete projects, schedule meetings and appointments, or otherwise facilitate the work of the ASUW. A schedule of these hours shall be submitted to the Personnel Director by the first week of each quarter.