From ASUW Wiki
Revision as of 18:06, 26 April 2011 by Asuwbdop
Goals for 2010-2011
- Work with Oversight Committee to maintain accountability of liaisons.
- Institutionalize accountability of liaisons by creating a liaison blog on the new Senate website where liaisons can upload regular reports that are relevant to Senate.
- Collaborate with the Senate Chair and Board of Directors to ensure that legislation is being followed through.
- Enlist the ASUW Board members’ participation in implementing Senate opinion.
- Work closely with First Year Programs, such as through Dawg Daze and Freshman Interest Group classes, to raise awareness of ASUW Senate among incoming freshmen.
- Engage the entire campus community by ensuring that Greek, Residence Hall Student Association (RHSA), and commuter Senate seats are filled and by outreaching to numerous registered student organizations (RSOs) to encourage them to fill their designated Senate seats.
- Make recruiting senators a top priority for the entire Senate leadership, not only the Membership Coordinator.
- Improve Senate’s impact at the University of Washington by outreaching to many groups and encouraging senators to write legislation on issues they care about.
- Represent Senate to the Board of Directors fairly and accurately.
- Communicate with the Board of Directors to ensure that student opinion is being heard and recognized.
- Coordinate speakers for Senate who will improve the communication between Senate and the greater UW community.
- Ensure that the Senate website is completed as soon as possible and that it provides a good source of information regarding Senate.
- Keep the Senate website consistently updated by regularly uploading the Senate and Steering minutes and resolutions.
- Ensure that Senate closely follows the Senate Constitution, Rules, and Bylaws, as well as Alice Sturgis’ parliamentary procedure rules.
- Strengthen the role of Chairs and Vice Chairs in Senate Committees by being there as a resource and providing direction and help when necessary.
- Reinforce the role of senators as liaisons back to their constituencies by reminding them to ask their constituencies for their opinions and e-mailing weekly summaries that contain relevant information to be brought up with these constituencies.
- Help senators draft and write Senate legislation.
- Strive to ensure that the transition to Gowen Hall for Senate and to Condon Hall for ASUW does not negatively impact participation and interest in Senate.
- Transition Senate to becoming more technologically advanced by smoothly incorporating the electronic voting system.
- Work to improve commitment, such as through regular attendance and discussion in Senate, among the senators.
- Build confidence in senators to speak up more in Senate through giving parliamentary procedure explanations and tips once a month in Senate, so they do not feel that parliamentary procedure is a barrier to them expressing their opinions.
- Ensure that Senate is a welcoming, fun, and productive environment.
- Build personal relationships with senators by striving to get to know each and every senator.
- Improve the feeling of community in Senate by organizing events outside of Senate.
- Enhance the new senator orientations by explaining parliamentary procedure and giving senators the opportunity to develop personal relationships with other senators.
- Show senators that Senate leadership and ASUW appreciate them through the ASUW Volunteer Appreciation Week.
- Explore new ways to actively thank senators for their dedication.