(Updated Picture to current ASUW Pres.)
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
Revision as of 19:29, 5 July 2009
convert: unable to open file `/var/www/wiki/images/e/ea/Tim.png' @ error/png.c/ReadPNGImage/3244.
convert: missing an image filename `/tmp/transform_2c3042f-1.png' @ error/convert.c/ConvertImageCommand/3011.
ASUW President is a challenging job; every day, you change roles in the blink of an eye. You are all at once an ambassador, statesman, entrepreneur, and executive. You must become knowledgeble in higher education, student development theory, accounting, managment, lobbying, husky sports, institutionalized racism, and a whatever weekly issue the Senate has just resolved for ASUW to support.
108th Session of the Associated Students of the University of Washington President
- Anttimo Bennett
Goals for 2008-2009:
- Representing the Association
- Maintaining professionalism at all times to increase the legitimacy of the Association
- Eliciting student opinion in major decisions and serving as a strong advocate in lobbying for students needs in Seattle and in Olympia
- Establishing networks in the community to increase funding and support of the Association
- Creating a New Vision for the Board of Directors
- Encouraging collaboration between members of the Board of Directors to ensure a positive working environment
- Making the work of the Board of Directors more visible to students to increase student participation in government
- Using board reports as progress checks to ensure that each person is fulfilling the promises made to voters
- Relating to the Community: The Legend Continues
- Reaching out to individuals and groups that have not been previously involved in student government
- Solidifying relationships between ASUW and student organizations and living groups by reforming the Director of Community Relations position to reflect the other director positions that serve as chairs to committees
- Working with student groups and with the administration to ensure that diversity remains a priority for the University
- It's All About Us
- Instilling a team mentality in the students that promotes the idea that we can bring change for students by working together
- Seeking approval in decisions to improve transparency and encourage teamwork
- Working as a team to improve campus safety for all students by advocating for quicker response times to emergency calls, increased safety education from the UWPD Crime Prevention Unit, and more patrols on "The Ave", the Greek system, in the residence halls, and on the main campus
- Overall management of ASUW business entities
- Oversee and execute political efforts at local, state, and federal levels
- Ensure wide and effective student participation in shared governance with faculty and administration.
- Participate and/or take leadership in essential university committees.
- Lobby in the state capitol for student issues including public testimony to House and Senate committees.
- Handle major public relations efforts with national and local press.
- Serve as an ex-officio member of the Board of Regents
- Make public appearances and speeches at university and community events; attend these events to establish and maintain good relations
BYLAWS OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
ARTICLE I, SECTION I
The President of the ASUW shall:
A. Serve as the Chair of the Board of Directors. The Chair of the Board of Directors shall:
- 1. Conduct Board of Directors meetings;
- 2. Appoint committees, with the confirmation of the Board of Directors, except as provided in the Constitution; and
- 3. Call meetings of the Board of Directors as needed and designate the time and place of the meetings;and
- 4. Assign floating committee appointments to the Board of Directors as outlined in Article I § (5) (O)
B. Serve as the official spokesperson of the ASUW in campus, community, and inter-school relationships;
C. Serve as ex-officio member with vote on all ASUW committees except on the Elections Administration Committee for recall elections (the President may appoint proxies to these positions);
D. Serve as an ex-officio member without vote on the Board of Regents, the Faculty Senate, the Faculty Senate Executive Committee, and the University Budget Committee (the President may not appoint proxies for these positions);
E. Serve as an ex-officio member without vote on the Alumni Association Board of Trustees (the President may appoint an At-Large member of the Board of Directors to serve as a proxy for this position);
F. Preside at meetings of the Association;
G. Ensure that Board of Directors members, including the Vice President and Directors, are fulfilling their job responsibilities, and if necessary, make recommendations for disciplinary action to the Personnel Director (or Vice President, if it involves the Personnel Director) for failure to perform the duties of their offices;
H. Distribute projects and tasks to the Board of Directors as applicable and ensure their completion,
I. Maintain accountability for twenty-nine hours per week. Twenty-two of these shall be scheduled hours during which time the President's activities and/or whereabouts are known to the front office staff. Meetings and appointments may be scheduled during this time. The remaining seven hours shall be utilized to complete projects, schedule meetings and appointments, or otherwise facilitate the work of the ASUW. A schedule of these hours shall be submitted to the Personnel Director by the first week of each quarter;
J. Shall meet with the ASUW Finance and Budget Director at the beginning of each quarter to establish the responsibilities and allocation of their [Administrative Assistant to the President and Finance & Budget Director|Administrative Assistant]] for that respective quarter. This shall be submitted for approval to the Personnel Director no later than the second week of each quarter;
K. Initiate projects as necessary, including a list of projects on which At-Large members or volunteers will work;
L. Complete a quarterly report and a quarterly evaluation of all Board of Directors members for the Fall and Winter Quarters and submit it to the Personnel Director by the second week of the following quarter;
M. Attend all regularly scheduled Board of Directors meetings or special Board of Directors meetings unless officially excused by the Vice President;
N. Determine the Board of Directors representatives on University Committees by the third week of fall quarter.
O. Ensure that all acts of the Board of Directors are executed;
P. The President or President-elect shall sit on the hiring committees for all positions within the Office of Government Relations for the term in which they will be President. Hiring within the Office of Government Relations shall not take place until after the ASUW elections; and
Q. Ensure good communication with the Board of Directors, ASUW, GPSS, University administration, and University community, including ensuring that all written and electronic correspondence is responded to.
Past and Current Presidents
- Anttimo Bennett, ASUW President 2008-2009
- Tyler J. Dockins, ASUW President 2007-2008
- Cullen White, ASUW President 2006-2007
- Lee Dunbar, ASUW President 2005-2006
- Kelsey Knowles, ASUW President 2004-2005
- Brittany A. Goodnight, ASUW President 2003-2004
- Alexandra Zavala Narvaez, ASUW President 2002-2003
- Danica S. You, ASUW President 2001-2002
- Jasmin Weaver, ASUW President 2000-2001
- Ryan Biava, ASUW President 1999-2000
- Franklin L. Donahoe, Jr., ASUW President 1998-1999
- Dawn M. Hewett, ASUW President 1997-1998
- Phil Neiswender, ASUW President 1994-1995