From ASUW Wiki
Revision as of 18:13, 16 February 2010 by Asuwbdop
Back to: Notable Events and Legislation
- Senate Summer Review Committee: The recommendations of the Senate Summer Review Committee were adopted through [OA-15-1] and [OA-15-2]. Among the changes were the creation of the hired position of Student Senate Clerk and changes in Senate Committees.
- The Daily Gay Marriage Controversy: [An article] by The Daily columnist John Fay prompted an outcry from many students, as well as [attention from outside media outlets], because of its perceived attack on the LGBT Community. In response, the Student Senate passed [R-15-19], sponsored by Jason Padvorac, which defended the right of The Daily to print the article but condemned its content.
- Proposal to Bring Tent City to Campus: The Student Senate overwhelmingly passed a controversial resolution ([R-15-21]) endorsing a proposal to bring Tent City III to the University of Washington campus the following year. The resolution followed similar action by the GPSS and Faculty Senate. UW President Mark Emmert rejected the proposal over the summer.
- Elimination of UW Swim Teams: Due to the budget crisis, the UW Athletic Director announced on May 1, 2009 that men's and women's swim teams would be cut. The Student Senate condemned the decision in [R-15-31].
- Photo Class Lists: The Senate [endorsed] the proposal by Director of Faculty, Administration and Academic Affairs Phuong Nguyen to create photo class lists.